Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Challenges with Song of Solomon

The most challenging aspect of reading a book like Song of Solomon is just keeping track of the timeline along with the descriptions of the characters. I felt that with all the flashbacks and quick pace action, it was hard to get a good grasp of the characters' appearances and their age. The story progresses so quickly and I feel like we didn't really get a good introduction to many characters and how they might appear, especially skin color which is vital in this novel. It is just extremely important to be able to understand the characters and the timeline because each character is drastically different and plays very different roles. The beginning of the story especially is hard to understand because the timeline is all over the place and there is little to no context or background knowledge.

There are multiple ways of addressing this challenge. The approach that I go with is I usually like to read an overview of the chapter before I read the actual chapter, so I get a good idea as to what the chapter is about. That way when I read the actual chapter I can focus more on details and not the big picture as much. This allows me to get a better understanding of the characters and focus more on what is happening in the moment instead of thinking about that along with the overall grasp of the chapter. If this doesn't work and I still don't understand something, I would go to Mr. Lawler and ask questions. Song of Solomon is certainly a novel that comes with its challenges, but there are ways to cope with them.

3 comments:

  1. Good post Jeffrey. I agree with you on how it is difficult to keep up with the different backstories and characteristics of the different characters. It is especially difficult because of how the flash backs consist of three generations of characters (Macon I, Macon II and Milkman). Annotating questions is extremely helpful for me because often times, these questions are answered in later chapters. Also, it is difficult to process flashbacks when characters have different perspectives and point of views. For example, both Macon II and Ruth tell the story of Dr. Foster's death differently and it can be difficult to decipher between their two stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Jeffrey. I have been encountering similar difficulties in keeping track of the chronology of events. The timeline we have built in class has been really helpful, though.
    To respond to Ajay, I second the strategy of listing questions you have in the margins. If you refer to my blog post, I talk about the usefulness of posing questions as a reader and how it doing so has been very beneficial when it comes to keeping things like descriptions and chronology in check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any supporting quotes as evidence in the first part of your post, Jeffrey? This would really help.

    ReplyDelete